Monday, December 2, 2013

Cherry tomato marinara with Spinach

I made the name of this dish up because my friend gave me the basic recipe and I've just made it using my own measurements.  It's a little bit of this and a little bit of that…measurements are not exact but you can't mess it up!  It's a favorite with my kids as well and it is fabulous!!! Enjoy!


Ingredients:  (I don't measure so these are approximate measurements for my family of five…reduce the amounts for less people)

1/4 cup olive oil
Lots of fresh garlic minced (I used at least 10-12 large cloves…I love garlic!)
4-5 pints cherry tomatoes (I buy the large container of grape tomatoes at Costco because they are less expensive.  I use two of the large containers)
Lots of spinach (I buy the large container of organic spinach from Costco and use at least half of the container)
fresh basil
pasta noodle of choice (I used farfalle)
salt and pepper to taste (I did 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper)

Directions:
Saute the fresh minced garlic in the olive oil for 3-5 minutes.  While the garlic is cooking, make the noodles according to the directions.  Then add the cherry tomatoes to the garlic mixture.  Keep the heat on medium  and cook the tomatoes until they get shriveled and wrinkly.  Then mash them up with a potato masher until it makes a chunky marinara sauce.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Then add spinach and simmer until the spinach is wilted.  Serve over noodle of choice and add fresh chopped basil on top.  Soooo delicious!!

Serves: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment