Monday, October 29, 2012

Vegetable White Bean Hash

By:  Forks over Knives Cookbook by Del Sroufe


**Yum!  That is what I have to say about this dish!  My husband loved it as well!  I served it as a side to my veggie burger.  The rosemary and orange juice add a special touch to this recipe!  It reheats well for left overs.  This will definitely go into my side dish rotation!

Serves 4 (I think more like 6)

1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp minced rosemary
1 large turnip, peeled and diced
1 med sweet potato, peeled and diced
zest and juice of 1 orange
One 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chopped kale (I did 2)
salt and pepper to taste

Place the leek and red pepper n a large saucepan and saute over medium heat for 8 minutes.  Add water 1 to 2 tbsp at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan (I used vegetable broth instead of water).  

Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for another minute.  Add the turnip, sweet potato, orange juice and zest, and the beans and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.  I added some vegetable broth to the mixture to help the vegetables cook and not stick.  Add the kale, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment