Sunday, September 2, 2012

Curried Chick Pea Salad

I will admit...I'm normally not a fan of curry.  I was hesitant to make this dish because it had curry spice in it.  However, I'm a huge chick pea fan so I thought I'd try it!  I'm glad I did!  This is a great dish.  It is very versatile.  Sometimes I eat it as is...other times I put it in a whole wheat pita stuffed with uncooked spinach and the salad.  It is also great to eat with whole grain pita chips.  This one is worth making!



Ingredients:
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil (I used half this amount)
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup seedless raisins
2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted (I dry toasted them in a saute pan)
2 cans cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup cilantro or parsley, chopped (I used cilantro)

mixed greens, spinach, pita chips (optional)

In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, curry powder, maple syrup and salt.  Add raisins, cumin, chickpeas, bell pepper, onion and cilantro and toss to combine.  Spoon chickpea mixture over salad, serve with pita chips, or put in whole grain pita.


No comments:

Post a Comment