Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Banana Bread muffins....delish!

Another tasty muffin from Happy Herbivore cookbook.  Instead of making it a loaf, I did muffins.  Easier for me to serve to my kiddos and also better portion control!  Enjoy!  I love these muffins before a workout, or for a healthy snack when my kids are craving cookies. :)

1/4 c. non-dairy milk (I use almond milk)
1/4 tsp lemon juice
4-5 spotted or browning bananas (I use 4)
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. raw sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp pure maple syrup

Optional ingredients: 1/4 tsp almond extract plus 1 tsp of cherry extract (I added cherry extract.  I didn't have almond)

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Grease or spray a standard 8 in loaf pan or use muffin liners if you are making muffins
2. Whisk the non dairy milk with lemon juice-set aside
3. Cream bananas with both the sugars using a spatula until smooth and creamy.  Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk spices, flour, baking soda, and baking powder together.
5. Add milk/lemon juice and banana mixture to the flour mixture.  Add remaining ingredients and just stir until just combined
6. Pour into loaf pan or muffin cups.  If doing loaf, put a tent of foil over pan
7. Bake for 45 min to an hour for loaf or 18-20 min for muffins.  insert toothpick to make sure it comes out clean to know when they are done.


1 comment:

  1. Delicious! The only thing I'll change next time is add a little salt.

    ReplyDelete