Monday, June 11, 2012

Enchilada casserole....A family favorite!

From:  Happy Herbivore Cookbook

Enchilada casserole:


serves 4

Enchilada sauce (see blog for recipe)
1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
2 c frozen corn
1 4 ounce can sliced black olives, divided (I omitted these since my kids don't like olives)
1 4 ounce can green chilies, diced (optional) (I used these...we love spice)
12 6-in corn tortillas, cut in half, divided

Prepare enchilada sauce
Preheat oven to 350
In a mixing bowl, combine beans, corn, half of the olives, and green chilies, if using
Line the bottom of a 9 in square casserole dish with 8 tortilla slices, overlapping edges as needed.
Pour a portion of the sauce over tortilla slices, ensuring total distribution and that everything is covered.
Spoon half of the bean mixture over top and pour enchilada sauce over to completely cover.
Add another layer of 8 tortilla slices and cover with sauce
Add the remaining bean mixture and cover with sauce.
Add a third top layer of tortillas and cover with the last of the sauce.
Sprinkle the remaining slice olives over top and bake for 30-35 min


**This was delicious!  I didn't miss the cheese at all!  My son wanted cheese but when I said he didn't need it, he ate the dish and liked it a lot.  I did put some skinless boneless chicken breast (pre cooked) in the portions of my husband and son.  No meat in mine and it was filling and tasty!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment